Monday, November 2, 2020

30 Days of Gratitude Day 2

Day 2 – November 2 – “What’s something that you’re looking forward to?”

Lots of things. It’s hard to choose just one thing… but let’s start with tomorrow. Tomorrow is the most important Presidential election in my lifetime so far. And I’m not so much looking forward to tomorrow, as I’m looking forward to the day AFTER tomorrow, when I hope all the bitter, sarcastic, mean-spirited, nasty, distasteful political bickering and name-calling and mud-slinging will dissipate. We have always been a nation politically divided, but usually we at least listen to one another. This year, nobody has listened to anybody, and everybody has been offensive and vile against everybody else. I’m SICK of it, so I’m VERY MUCH looking forward to it decreasing to a mild howl very soon. The 2 questions I hear the most will be answered: “Do you think there is any way Trump can be re-elected?” “Do you think there is any way Trump can lose the election?” I DON’T KNOW. Yes to both questions. No to both questions. We will know the answer on Wednesday.

On a brighter note, I’m looking forward to Aaron’s gig next Saturday at David’s Pizza in Homewood. I just hope I can find a parking place.

I’m looking forward to next Sunday, when Veterans Week kicks off in Hoover. There will be recognitions of veterans, and presentations of folded flags. There will be PATRIOTISM at its finest. I’m REALLY happily looking forward to that. Also, I’m a keynote speaker, so I’m practicing for that.

Veterans Day, there will be a motorcade through downtown Birmingham, to demonstrate support for veterans, in lieu of the usual parade. I’m hoping to participate as a rider on one of the 100 or so motorcycles that will lead the motorcade. I’m especially looking forward to this particular year’s “non-parade”, because it won’t be so long, so I won’t have to hold my bladder for hours on end.

The Veterans Day banquet will be small and intimate, but I’m still looking forward to it. THIS year, there will be no longwinded speeches that cause me to fall asleep, or want to scream “SHUT UP!” There will be only pertinent speakers, and most attendees will be VSO members. It will be a wonderful evening.

November 14 is the UAB Blazers Homecoming game at Legion Field. There are 1000 free tickets for veterans and their families. I will be presenting the “POW/MIA table” ceremony before the game, so I’m practicing for that. I’m also looking forward to sitting in the midst of 1000 veterans and their families.

And every year I look forward to Thanksgiving. While it won’t be the large family gathering we usually have, the smaller intimate family dinner will still be reason to give thanks for another year of love and support for one another. Thanks to God for a roof over our heads and food on our tables when so many are without either, especially THIS year.

Then I’ll start looking forward to Christmas and Wreaths Across America and all the pre-Christmas activities and parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment