Thursday, November 26, 2020

30 Days 6of Gratitude - Day 26

 Day 26 – November 26 –  Thanksgiving Day - “What traditions are you grateful for?”

As the years go by, and as every day of 2020 sometimes seems like a year, our traditions have waned, and this year they have pretty much died.

Today is Thanksgiving Day, and I do give thanks that my family and I are healthy, because when health is gone, nothing else matters much. Every Thanksgiving Day since I was born, I have gathered with extended family to eat, remember, and enjoy the togetherness.  It is the one day of the whole year some of us see each other. There is always plenty of food, the parade on TV, the men falling asleep on the couch in front of the TV while the women clean up the table and the kitchen, and enjoy some once-a-year girl time.

At the end of the day, we all hug and promise to text, call or visit more often… but we never do, which makes the Thanksgiving Day mini-family-reunion all the more special, and IMPORTANT.

Not this year. Not 2020.

It is so very strange this year. I’m not somebody to give up easily, though. This year there is no big family gathering. This year our Thanksgiving feast includes just Aaron and me. Mark and Michelle are coming over to sit on the porch and talk a while.  So no turkey. No casseroles and deviled eggs. No pumpkin and pecan pies. Like I said, I don’t give up easily. I did a crockpot chicken, and quartered it. Instead of huge casseroles, I did tiny casseroles in aluminum “pans” and carried Thanksgiving dinner around to Mark and Michelle and several friends who can’t gather, and who will be pretty much alone today.

I think Christmas will be similar.

I think New Years Eve and New Years Day will too.

 I think the traditions of the past will remain in the past. Once a tradition is dropped, it is very hard to renew it later.  So thank you Lord, for 74 years of happy, warm traditions.

They can take away the traditions, but they can’t take away my memories of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment