Saturday, November 21, 2020

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 21

 Day 21 – November 21 – “Name a random act of kindness you’ve received.”

I am inundated with random acts of kindness. I receive one almost every day.

I will tell you about some of them I’ve received in the last week or so, but you might not recognize them as “random acts of kindness”, but I would argue that any kind act someone does for me, that happened “randomly” fits the definition. One of the very simple ones I can think of right off the top of my head is when Aaron was over here last week, and carried out my garbage. Then he came back and put a new bag in the can. He didn’t tell me, wasn’t asked… just did it out of kindness, and it certainly was RANDOM.

Also last week, I had 50 newsletters to address and stamp. Patty randomly called and offered to help me address them. Kindness indeed.

You already know about my neighbor who gives me eggs from his chickens. This is kind of an “ongoing” act of kindness, so might not be so random any more.

Every once in a while, dear Pat sends me a box of books. What a wonderful thing for her to do for me! It’s always random, and I consider it a true act of kindness.

Linda occasionally brings me a blouse or a floor mat or a pair of shoes, or a book, and says, “This made me think of you.” Or “This is so YOU.” Random? Yes. Kind? VERY.

Sometimes Michelle shows up with buttermilk popsicles.

Sharon writes me notes and leaves them in my car seat. Sometimes it is a card, or a “just thinking of you” note. It always makes my day!

Lea called and offered her staff to help me unload the Wreaths Across America truck when it arrives. That is several weeks away, but what a kind thought, and takes loads of stress off me.

Chris messaged me and has offered Alabama Veteran members to help place the wreaths on the graves on December 19.

And precious Amanda encourages me with her weekly phone call “check-in”. She realizes that to me, texting is impersonal. It also is difficult for me, since I can’t hit a single little digit with my huge fingers, and spend more time correcting what I pecked than I spent even thinking about the message. Three words take me 3 minutes to text. So I tend to “sound” abrupt in my texts. But Amanda spends an hour or so of her time every week talking to me on the phone.

For me, every random act of kindness is a blessing, so when I say I am blessed, I really really mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment