Sunday, November 8, 2020

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 8

Day 8 – November 8 – “Give thanks for those that bless the church by planting flowers, mowing the lawn, and making the outside of the building look beautiful.”

Thanks indeed! The gardeners who perform these labors of love do so with their own equipment/mowers/clippers. They labor in the hot sun, with a spirit of grace and pride in their work. I lift them up in prayer and I’m very grateful for them.

But in this spirit, I’m also thankful for the volunteers who work every year for the Yard Work Ministry at the church. These guys mow lawns and weed-eat and clip hedges for people in the community who are unable to do it themselves. What a WONDERFUL ministry! Summer in Alabama is not a joke, with temperatures frequently hitting 100 degrees, with 90% humidity. Yet, these folks load up their mowers and head into the community. I give thanks for them too.

So while I’m thinking about it, I look around my neighborhood, and I see people out mowing their own lawns, but some of them ease on over to their neighbors’ lawns too. We have a lot of older people, but like many communities, some of our homes are “gentrified”, with millennials living there. These young people do not hesitate to do double lawn duty for their elderly neighbors. 

So on a broader scale than asked, I give thanks for all the people who help others keep their yards beautiful by donating a few hours of their time, and a bit of gasoline/oil for their mowers, and doubling up on the sweat.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment