Tuesday, November 24, 2020

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 24

Day 24 – November 24 – “Give thanks for a longtime friend”

I could write a book about this one!

But I’m going to choose just ONE friend – Pat.

We met in the back seat of Mr. Hall’s car on the way to the Citywide spelling bee competition in 1960. Mr. Hall was the principal of both Minnie Holman and Woodlawn Elementary Schools. Pat was the winner from Woodlawn, and I was the runner-up from Holman. That day was the beginning of a friendship that has lasted these last 65 years.

Just as an outline, there are these things:

1.    I am godmother to her children

2.    She was matron of honor in my first wedding in 1969. (She saved the pictures and recently sent them to me.)

3.    For 50 or so years, we wrote letters back and forth about once a month and spoke on the phone about once a year. (Before internet, cell phones and texting) That was the way people in different cities communicated back then. Hard to imagine now.

4.    When I moved to Texas, she took care of me and my family for several months, until we got settled.

5.    Both our mothers were overbearing, controlling, and independent.

6.    Both our fathers were laid back, loving, fun and controlled by our mothers.

7.    Both our mothers outlived our fathers.

8.    Over the years, Pat has anticipated my needs, and often called me to offer help before I even knew I needed help.

9.    We both love to write.

10. We both joined the military

11. We love each other more than sisters, but yet we ARE “Sisters” because we both are NSDAR members.

I can’t imagine my life without Pat, so yes. I thank God EVERY DAY for bringing Pat into my life, and keeping her there all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment