Saturday, November 14, 2020

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 13

 Day 13 – November 13 – “Give thanks for your family. Be intentional today about encouraging one or several of your family members.”

I thank God EVERY DAY for my family.

So today I called my oldest living relative, Ruth. She is my dad’s first cousin, making her my second cousin, and she is 94 years old.

What an amazing woman! She still drives, and before COVID hit, she was line-dancing at the Senior Center every week and attending church every Sunday. She has a beautiful little garden home, and smokes 3-4 cigarettes a day out on her back patio.

But Ruth lives in about 1980. She has no computer and no cell phone. She does have a color TV, and spends her day reading and working crossword puzzles.

After COVID hit, and she couldn’t go to church anymore, someone brought her a CD player, and brings her a CD of her church’s weekly service.

I did send her a couple of masks several months ago.

She has survived the death of her husband of 50+ years, and the death of her older son (Bill, who weighed over 600 pounds). Her younger son, Tom, has been ill for years, but lives within an hour’s drive, so she drives over to visit him every couple of weeks. Tom is now bedbound and “can’t stay awake” more than a few minutes. Ruth still enjoys sitting with him.

So today I called Ruth. I wish I could hug her.

No comments:

Post a Comment